Episodes of the Pushing Cardboard podcast

TOPIC:

008 Flames across the Border 1 month 2 days ago #26

More wargaming goodness!

Today we look at two games on the war of 1812:

1812: The Invasion of Canada
Amateurs to Arms!

Plus what's new, what's on the table, and all the other cardboard pushing goodness you love.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

008 Flames across the Border 1 month 2 days ago #29

Thanks for the details on two War of 1812 games. I've played 1812 Invasion of Canada and it's a fun, relatively light game that I enjoy. I've only played with two players but would like to try with 5 players and only allow limited communication. Based on your description, I've got to try Amateurs to Arms. Keep up the Canadian content, I enjoy learning Canadian history through wargaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CardboardPusher

008 Flames across the Border 1 month 1 day ago #30

I agree A2A is one of the best CDGs ever designed. Even though at times not much actually happens in terms of battles, there is always tension. And the big deck and ability to save cards means that you can save events for that perfect "gotcha" moment.

The lighter 1812 game is fun too. Although you said it works well two-player, with more players it's a good beer 'n pretzels game for late night at a convention when your brain is burned out because you can teach people to play in 10 minutes. I also liked 1775 although 1754 didn't grab me as much.

008 Flames across the Border 1 month 1 day ago #31

Thanks for the details on two War of 1812 games. I've played 1812 Invasion of Canada and it's a fun, relatively light game that I enjoy. I've only played with two players but would like to try with 5 players and only allow limited communication. Based on your description, I've got to try Amateurs to Arms. Keep up the Canadian content, I enjoy learning Canadian history through wargaming.

If you like Canadian content, I'm sure Brian Train's Scheldt game from Hollandspiele is going to get a look. Double double on that one: Canadian designer and a Canadian action.

008 Flames across the Border 1 month 1 day ago #32

I agree A2A is one of the best CDGs ever designed. Even though at times not much actually happens in terms of battles, there is always tension. And the big deck and ability to save cards means that you can save events for that perfect "gotcha" moment.

The lighter 1812 game is fun too. Although you said it works well two-player, with more players it's a good beer 'n pretzels game for late night at a convention when your brain is burned out because you can teach people to play in 10 minutes. I also liked 1775 although 1754 didn't grab me as much.

Totally agree about the tension. I should have mentioned the "save cards" mechanic. That and the screens ratchet up the tension. And yes, I could see how a multiplayer game would be a great late night convention filler with 1812. Enough there that it's not a waste of time, but super simple to teach and get going.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds